RE: Tuning rig and closed body turnbuckles. [WAS: A'hoy Judy!]

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Fri Feb 11 2000 - 20:08:33 PST

"Safety wire" is used everywhere on airplanes. The wire used is soft enough
that it is not prone to vibration failures. Airplanes are subject to much
more vibration than sailboats, but I've never encountered a safety wire
failure on my own airplane or on Navy planes I worked on. The bolts that
attached the propeller of my Ercoupe were safety wired. Safety wire is used
for aircraft turnbuckles also, as the following indicates:

AC No: 20-45

AIRCRAFT SAFETYING OF TURNBUCKLES ON CIVIL AIRCRAFT

Date: 9/17/65

  1. PURPOSE. To provide information on turnbuckle safetying methods
       that have been found acceptable by the Agency during past aircraft
       type certification programs.

  2. INFORMATION. The following cable system turnbuckle safetying
       devices have been approved, under current airworthiness regulations,
       for use in civil aircraft:

      a. Clip locking devices specified in military standard MS 33736;

      b. Double-wrap safety wire as specified in military standard MS
              33591; and

      c. Turnbuckle safetying devices meeting TSO-C21.

George S. Moore
Director Flight Standards Service

(Of course lateen rigs don't need no stinkin' turnbuckles.)

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA