Re: P19 Centerboard Help

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sat Feb 12 2000 - 23:00:51 PST

Michael

I have not witnessed or experienced a turtle in my 30 years of Pottering
(P14), but it does happen, mainly in P14s/P15s. Read the" Tales of Turning
Turtle" on the PY web site at
<http://potter-yachters.org/story/turtles.html> for some examples,
including the only P19 turtle I've heard about. There have been a couple
of other P15 turtles reported in the PY newsletter and one on this mail
list that aren't included there. I think the main precaution in a P19 is
not to try to sail with the daggerboard up because the center of gravity is
raised significantly with the heavy board raised straight up (as
distinguished from a swing keel or centerboard, which keeps the weight low
in the boat)

Haven't heard of any exploding Potters. The propane hazard is probably no
more or less than in an RV or any other similar installation. Likewise
carbon monoxide is a concern when combustion takes place in any enclosed
space.

Harry
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA