Re: Unidentified subject!

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 11:51:50 PST

Hi Alan:
I hate to tell you this, but no one can teach you to sail. You already have
more experience in wind-powered boats than most people. The technical
information is all in a wide variety of books, and all a sailing course will
do is feed you the same material in predigested form. Read the books, pick
a low-wind, sunny day, launch your Potter, and in a slow-paced and
unstructured way, find out for yourself how she handles. Just sail out an
hour or so and then back to where ever you started. Pick a spot on the
horizon and try to sail to it. Tack a few times, including the "chicken
gybe" variety where you avoid a regular gybe by going the long way round.
Then head home and digest what you did. Repeat as necessary. Oh, by the
way, it's not fair to deny Marilyn and Adam (I'm assuming Krypto is non-homo
sapiens, apologies if mistaken) the mutual learning experience. You'll be a
happier crew if you all arrive at the desired level of competence together.
So:
Read the books
Practice in stressless situations
Take the family along
Relax and enjoy
Join a club
Remember: advice is rarely worth what you pay for it.

Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804
Aripeka, FL

You said:
   I need some advice. Having just entered the world of Potterdom I am
feeling a little unsure of what I should do about learning to sail our P-19.
I feel a strong need to get some first-hand instruction in
boat handling (Potter variety) on open waters. Never having dealt with
waves and tides before makes me a bit nervous. I certainly have no
intention of taking Marilyn or Adam or Krypto out until
I feel very comfortable with my skill level.
I know you really can't answer the question for me, but I would like to
hear how others have learned and what you think is the best route to go.