RE: Repairing a broken stringer on the P19.

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 10:13:49 PST

Larry,

What you're saying sure does make "common sense", but that's not the way
repairs are typically done, for some reason. If you go hang out in any
boatyard and watch them do repairs (as I have at Svensesn's) or read any
book on fiberglass repair, you'll find they always put the largest layer on
the bottom and lay progressively smaller layers over that (with the
exception of repairing a thru-hull hole, but that's due to the need to bevel
the edge of the repair).

I could speculate as to the reason, but I truly don't know why. However,
it's the time-tested way to do things.

BTW, in case it wasn't clear in my first post, each layer is 1" smaller on
each of the two dimensions, for a 1/2" reduction in size on all edges.

Best,
Judy B, 1985 P19 #266, Redwing, SF Bay, CA