RE: Repairing a broken stringer on the P19.

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 18:38:29 PST

>What you're saying sure does make "common sense", but that's not the way
>repairs are typically done, for some reason. If you go hang out in any
>boatyard and watch them do repairs (as I have at Svensesn's) or read any
>book on fiberglass repair, you'll find they always put the largest layer on

>the bottom and lay progressively smaller layers over that (with the
>exception of repairing a thru-hull hole, but that's due to the need to bevel

>the edge of the repair).

Having just done this, I have a pretty good idea why. I has originally going
to do it the other way until Judy suggested going biggest on the bottom. I'm
glad I did it that way, because when you do it that way as you add layers, you
still have some control over the lower layers. I think if i had put a small
layer under a larger layer, i might have messed up the smaller lower one as
I positioned the larger piece (assuming you're putting on these layers all at
once, not letting them cure individually).
http://www.nwlink.com