Secret to Brg Buddies & hub dunking formerly: Bearing Buddies or Baddies?

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 15 2000 - 06:40:43 PST

The secret is to pump enough grease into them buddies so inner piece moves
out just a few cm (about 1/32"). You want positive pressure inside but not
too much.. Pumping grease into them until the inner lip stops at the outer
retainer is too much and puts undue pressure on inner bearing seals.
Sometimes this results in the inner seal separating from hub and just
dangling from spindle. Dangling from spindle destroys seal lip. Too much
grease creates friction and heats up bearing/grease burning inner seal. Of
course once you start pumping grease in, its hard to resist urge to pump it
full. You should always use a double lip inner seal and never pump grease to
the hilt.

There is no reasonable way to prevent water from entering hubs as when you
dunk them they cool down. As the grease and stuff inside cool they contract
sucking in water. They recommend you wait about 10 minutes for bearings to
cool off before dunking. That way it won't suck water..

Normally I wait 10 minutes before backing into ramp. Once at ramp I dunk
wheels in water for a few minutes up to a few inches below hubs while I prep
dock lines allowing hubs to cool out of water. Then I dunk em.. My bearings
last about 2 yrs.

BEst
sf

In a message dated 2/14/00 10:30:04 PM Pacific Standard Time,