sail selection (was) Re: p-19 capsize

From: Eric Zilbert (eezilbert@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 11:00:09 PST

Generally, I rig a downhaul on the jib so I can take it down from the
cockpit if things get rough. I only have one set of reef points in my main
and I therefore need to douse the jib in a hurry if things are ugly. In my
experience, it is best to douse the jib and sail to shelter under reefed
main, and if needed to make progress to windward, start the motor. Then
you can change headsail if needed. One of the first things I bought for
the boat was the working (we call it storm) jib. If it is a real blow going
out (18 +) I start out with it. The lapper is actually a great sail in a
wide variety of conditions. I do not have/use a genoa. This is the
recommended sail for light winds (5-15 mph) especially working up wind. I
do not have winches/tracks for a genoa and don't care to add them. I am
going to get an asymetrical spinnaker to use in light airs (5-10mph) for
running and reaching. I think roller reefing is the way to go if you get
the genoa. If you use a downhaul with such a large sail part of it is
likely to wind up in the water. Generally, if it is blowing more than 25
knots, you are just trying to get out of it. In our worst situations we
have simply doused the sails and motored to protected waters. On the
trip I related, I knew I would wind up running before the wind, we have a
backstay, and the boat generally performs quite well. Hope this answers
some of your questions. Once you get to know the areas where you sail,
you can do a better job of selecting sails. - Eric
Eric E. Zilbert
Agricultural & Environmental Education Program
Dept. of Agronomy and Range Science, UCD
Davis, CA 95616 (530) 752-5943