RE: sail selection

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst (drjudyb@pacbell.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 11:42:22 PST

Eric --

My sails are brand new -- about 12-15 years newer than yours and not as
baggy. New sails make a huge difference in performance -- lower heeling,
less touchy helm in gusts, points higher etc.

When it's blowing 25 knots, we're having fun on Redwing, and not we're even
thinking of heading in. She's flying along at 15 degrees of heel, with a
beautifully balanced helm.

At 25, I'd probably be flying my storm jib with mainsail with 2nd reef, so I
could relax some and concentrate on not spilling my coffee or wine :^).

At 30 knots, the mainsail would definitely be deep reefed and I'd be sailing
with carefully shaped and trimmed sails, shaped to spill wind in hard gusts,
but hold shape in sustained winds. The coffee would have to be in a
spill-proof container and I wouldn't be drinking wine. :^) I'd be
concentrating on sailing the boat well, and watching the weather carefully.

A good boat with blown-out sails forgets some of her good breeding and
manners, but a new suit of clothes reminds her - and she turns back into a
fine-mannered LADY. :^)

Judy B
1985 WWP 19 #266 Redwing, SF Bay, CA

<<snipped>>
One of the first things I bought for
> the boat was the working (we call it storm) jib. If it is a real
> blow going
> out (18 +) I start out with it. The lapper is actually a great
> sail in a
> wide variety of conditions.

<<SNIPPED>>