Re: terrifying the uninitiated... <EBG> or [N] Capsize Value [N] -

From: Scott Pack (scott.pack@pictureiq.com)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 15:31:34 PST

>BTW/PS: Capsize ratio? smashetiooww! I guess your numbers proved they are
>hokey numbers... Don't they sail singlehanded around the world in Ultra
Light
>Displacement boats with all sails up in 30 Knot winds!

Anyone see the recent Dateline show about the French woman sailor who
capsized between Australia and South America a couple of years ago? Dang
can't remember her name or the race.

Judy, what does 'recover' from a capsize imply for anything larger than a
dingy? How realistic is this?

I've read quite a few books on shipwrecks on the Great Lakes. There have
been several instances of large (300-400 foot) freighters going over in
storms. The Edmunds Fitzgerald supposedly buried her bow into a wave and
never came up. Scary.

Just curiousities that have no relation to Potter behavior at all. So
don't freak out!

-Scott