Re: terrifying the uninitiated... More horror stories to keep you ashore...

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 19:59:35 PST

REturning to Isabelle...

I do believe the beam on most of these ULDB's is extra wide. They are
designed to achieve and sustain 20 knots. They are wide amidships to the
stern. Check out the pics of Isabelles sailboat. She was out to win a race.
I am sure she had all sails up and was barreling along at 20+ knots asleep.

In order for any sailboat to right itself the sail must be down or furled.
Sails up and wide beam make it stay upside down. In this wave action is
necessary to complete the rollover against sail pressure. This was the case
with Isabelle Autissier. Her boat would not right because sails were up and
her wide beam prevented completing rollover. A heavy deep cantilevering keel
did not help...

Best
SF

In a message dated 2/16/00 6:48:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,