Potter 15 Navigation Lights

From: Michele Sladko (michele@whidbeyisland.net)
Date: Thu Feb 17 2000 - 15:46:47 PST

Hi Y'all, I need some input. I've been off the list for a while so I don't know if this has been asked lately or not.

I want to get running lights on my P-15, for night sailing. Has anyone used the clamp-on, battery operated lights? The red/green combo for the bow and a clamp-on white light for the stern? I wonder if anyone has any input for me... I don't really want to install a battery on my boat. And I wouldn't sail at night very often anyway. I know, I know, technically a 15 foot boat can just use a white light, even a flashlight. But a powerboater told me that when small boats just use the white light, it can be very confusing. He said if you're out there at night, and you see a white light, you assume it's a stern light.
If it turns out to be a tiny boat coming toward you, you may hit them, as you thought they were going away. But if you see a red and green, then you know they're coming toward you for sure. And when a little boat is waving a flashlight around, you don't know if they're signaling for help, or if they're just signaling their presence. So even though it's only a 15, I'd like to get serious nav lights, to be safest.

Any thoughts or input for me? For or against portable lights as opposed to installed lights?

Thanks,

Michele Sladko
P-15 #2254 SeaHorse
Oak Harbor, WA