Re: How a keel boat recovers from a turtling....

From: Dave & Francesca Kautz (dfkautz@pacbell.net)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 19:07:47 PST

Lars,

I think your friend's observation below is correct. If his boat stays
inverted for long it will sink! Once buoyancy is no longer an issue the
cg will resume it's preferred position.;-)

Seriously, I do agree. If the waves are big enough to turn the boat
halfway, chances are they won't stop there, a heavy boat will have a lot
of rotational momentum. And if it did stop briefly at 180 degrees, the
next wave will rotate it the 20 or even 30 degrees it might need to get
started on its return trip.

One of the delightful things about small boats is that recovering from a
capsize (or a grounding or most other mishaps) is on a human scale - The
boat can be righted by the efforts of it's occupant(s). Positive
flotation, which is not really an option on heavy cruisers, ensures that
the little boats will not disappear beneath the surface in the meantime.

And as to the 30 ft. seas and the 50 knot winds, I think most sailors
who have been there will tell you that boats - of any size - are
categorically not compatable with those conditions.

Good luck on the search for a P-19!

Dave Kautz
P15 #1632, Tilly Lucy
Palo Alto, CA

  Brent suspects that if for some reason his HC