Re: Refinishing Teak - what a difference!

From: Bill Combs (ttursine@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:07:27 PST

> on 2/21/00 10:49 AM, Scott F at sfoshee@yahoo.com wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience with this
> glossy finish to go on top of Cetol? Is it worth the
> cost and extra effort? Thanks.

In my limited experience, it does look (a lot) better than the plain, matte
finish -- for about 18 months, at which point it abruptly begins looking
much worse. I'm the absolute monarch of the delayed maintenance crowd and
thus no longer use it; the regular finish seems much more durable. FWIW, I
try to use at least 4 coats when I do it. Lasts longer that way.

Be wary of the varnish clan, they'll try to seduce you with soft words and
dreams of gleaming wood finishes worthy of a fine violin. If that's what you
want, so be it, but it'd be less work to use Cetol and take a violin out
with you to admire occasionally. ;-)

Regards,
Bill Combs

--