Re: Refinishing Teak - what a difference!

From: Thomas Grimes (tgrimes@gw.bsu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 14:47:11 PST

Scott

As far as I am concerned the extra work with the glossy finish is well worth it, though I must admit to being a "bright finished wood" nut. On my gunter Potter and on another boat that has a lot of wood trim I have been using Deks Olje, a saturation oil finish with a glossy sealer. I used it because at the time that I started doing it that finish was supposed to be the lowest maintenance shiny finish.

I was and am pleased with it, even though it takes a wet sanding and two more coats of the glossy stuff each spring. Recently I have heard that Cetol is now the best. It only has to be renewed every other year. I tried it on some wood that I had to strip anyway last spring, and it looked good, and was much easier to put on than a full treatment of Deks Olje.

I will probably renew the Deks Olje on the other boat this spring and strip it all next spring and finish it in Cetol. After fifteen years the Deks Olje has darkened, even though it has been maintained according to the directions.

Regards

Tom Grimes
P-14 #363 Far Horizon
Muncie, Indiana