rudder mounting & weather helm

From: Kathea and Ken (kayakfit@fidalgo.net)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 18:05:36 PST

Hello! I'm considering purchasing a West Wight Potter 15, used. I haven't had a chance to examine it yet, but I understand the rudder has been remounted aft of the transom. I'm not certain whether the reason was to create more useable space in the cockpit, or to address a strong weather helm condition. I'm curious about what constitutes a legal boat for racing, and whether this modification is permissable. I'd also like to know how much weather helm properly sailed Potters exhibit, and to what extent mast rake and sail trim can control weather helm. In other dinghies I've raced it has usually been fastest to get the crew weight hiked out as needed, amidships, sail a flat boat, and control weather helm with mast rake or bend, and the downhaul. What is the situation with the Potter 15?
    What do Potter 15 sailboats usually sell for, used? (Upper and lower price ranges, please.)
    Can I get a copy of the rules governing legal equipment for racing?

thank you,

Ken Rasmussen
6290 Ershig Road
Bow, WA 98232