RE: rudder mounting & weather helm

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 18:38:08 PST

AFAIK All WWP boats have always had the rudder hanging off gudgeons on the
transom.

There is no one-design WWP fleet or racing association, and therefore no
racing class rules. In fact, most potterers tend to fiddle with their boats
rig and other acoutrements just for the heck of it, but most modifications
are done in the name of comfort and seaworthiness rather than speed.

Frankly, if you're looking for a boat for strictly racing, the potter isn't
a good choice. There just isn't a race organization that I know of in the NW
that regularly races them, and they're not legal for PHRF-NW (too short), so
finding a race you can win will be difficult. Most other dinghies are faster
due to lighter weight and larger sail areas, and most keelboats have LWL on
you. There are skilled sailors out there who can maintain some pretty
impressive speeds in the 15, but by and large, potterers just aren't racers.

Its a great boat for cruising and adventuring, and there's a number of other
P15s and P19s in the northwest. Check out http://www.tx3.com/~ej/nwp.html
for some local NW information. We'll probably do some get-togethers this
year and some informal racing, but I don't think the fleet has any ambitions
to enter as a class at Race Week or anything like that.

Around here you can usually expect to spend $1500-$3000ish for a used one
depending on condition and so forth.

 -Eric Johnson 1988 P19 #461 "Victoria", Bothell, WA