Cockpit Storage or Removable Lazarette

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 11:24:39 PST

I don't feel I'm up to professional grade glass work to permanently modify
my P-15 cockpit, but would like a cockpit storage area (lines, self steering
stuff, PFD'S, bucket, gas tank, whatever. . .)so. . .I'm thinking of
building a nice plywood box to fit down into the footwell and come up as
high as the top of the cockpit coamings. . .pretty good sized box. .
.divided into 3 (at least) compartments (deep in the center and two
shallower wings). I'm thinking about taking up about a third of the cockpit
length with this monster, and tying it down with some sort of tidy straps,
stainless latches, whatever. . .

With gasketed lids (and adequate tiedowns) this would make the aft end of
the boat float really high if all those other horrible things happened. I'd
hold it up off the cockpit floor an inch or two to continue access to the
transom drain. . . Has anybody built something like this? Thoughts or
comments will be appreciated, especially on hardware suggestions (I always
seem to use something ugly and then find out I could have had something nice
for less money if I'd only known. . .)

Ken Preston
P-15 #1063
Bainbridge Island, WA