Re: Big Mainsails

From: Marilyn Dimson-Doyle (mddoyle@mediaone.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 12:22:36 PST

Hi Dave,
    Interesting that you should mention the running stays. I just finished
reading the story about Judson Abbott's ordeal on Lake Michigan in 1987 (I
am only a little behind the times...). As I mentioned to Judy B, there was
a response from a Ralph Saylor who noted that he had installed running
backstays on his Potter. I am not sure if I completely understand his
reasoning, but it "sounds" right. He says, "....when the mainsheet is
slackened to meet a gust or just to sail with a Swedish{?} reef, the jib
stay also slackens and bags to the jib luff-just the opposite of what is
needed." What is a Swedish reef and what does he mean by "bags to the jib
luff"?
    I think it is going to take me longer to learn all the lingo than it is
to learn how to sail this boat!!
Alan
P-19 "Molly Fay"
East Coaster