P19 Mast Raising

From: Charles O'Morrow (crow3798@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 20:02:40 PST

I am an avid Charleston, SC reader presently without a boat. This area is GREAT for sailing. The harbor, the ICW, several large rivers, inland lakes and the deep blue. Even the sailing schools here sail in Jan and Feb.

Hopefully this will be the "year of the Potter" for me. But which one ?? I have rigged and sailed the P15 (in January) A great craft, easy to rig solo in a few minutes, but how about the 19?? Is it truly possible to rig by one person? Can I handle this alone with the mast raising system or does it take a super human?? I am of normal size, strength, and stamina.

Past experience with other sail craft I have owned tells me my "Mate" won't last more than about 3 voyages and it will be me and the dog after that. (she's a great companion and even has web feet!!) - dog that is..

 So-oooo, I need the straight stuff. I hoped the IM tape would give me some insight .... but alas ... no such luck. Everything I read says "....... CAN BE ..." but is anyone really doing it???

ChuckO'
Charleston, SC