Re: New P-15 Owner

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 20:08:48 PST

Dan, I think you might really be much happier starting out
with the standard jib, as P-15's sail quite well in light air using that
sail.. because you had the foresight to order the Genoa hardware
you will also have the option of ordering a genoa from any sailmaker
you wish, and choose the weight of sailcloth for your conditions etc.
when you decide to get the larger sail. I have a 180% Nylon "Drifter"
which is great when there is almost no wind at all and the motor runs
out of gas... but it is a real pain in the neck to tack with it ( the sheets
are 16ft long and run from the stern cleats!), and taking down the one
sail and putting up the other while single handing on a P-15 is a bit of
an annoyance too.. ( someday I really would like to have a roller furling
genoa, which of course is easy to adjust to suit conditions). If you're
flying a Genoa and the wind pipes up to the point you decide you need
less power, then you're stuck with making a change just when you
don't want to have to go climbing forward.. Congratulations on your
new boat, and many happy days of sailing to you..
Best wishes,
Bruce
Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte" Sail no. 1246 since 1985
Chico,California