Re: P19 Mast Raising

From: Thos. Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 09:16:50 PST

>Mac...I've found I can raise the mast myself using pretty much the same
>procedure you described. Where I get into serious trouble, though, is
>trying to lower the mast without losing control of it. Have you found that
>simply reversing your procedure has been sufficient?

I second that. Ive lifted the mast myself on several occasions, but
lowering is another story, The one time I tried it solo (on water to avoid
a lightning strike) I ended up with a forestay cut in my fingers, a bounced
hatch, and a smashed GPS--bummer, $85 repair and the whole process scared
the stuff of me. I dont recommend it.

This year I have invested in a SS bow connect point, some pulley hardware,
etc and a winch crank. Dont plan on repeating the horror.

Thomas Westerman
P19 #578, and WB8 sail dinghy "LeiLulu"
Colorado Springs, CO
(thats "Colorado" not "Carbon Monoxide" or "Company" as in Corporate)