RE: P19 Mast Raising

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 14:30:16 PST

Hi Potter-ers

I can lower my mast single handed with a system similar to Mac's. Since I'm
only 5.5" and about 115 pounds, I use a winch. I use the main halyard (or
you can use the jib halyard if you don't have a CDI) going to a block on the
bow pulpit and then lead back to a winch. The baby stays control any
sideways sway.

I stuff the shrouds down the companionway while I'm raising the mast; they
don't get caught on as much stuff that way. But if they do catch on
something, it's a simple thing to lower the mast an inch or two with the
winch, cleat off the line, un-snag the shroud, and go right back to raising
it the rest of the way.

I could raise it entirely by myself if my mast crutch telescoped like
Jerry's. Until I can get a telescoping crutch, I'll continue to rely on the
kindness of some obliging gentleman to lift it a about 2-3 feet over the
crutch, so I can get a good angle on the halyard to hoist it up with the
winch. I can take it from there by myself.

Jerry's system of using the trailer winch rope to hoist the mast is much
quicker and simpler than mine. He just places the winch strap over the mast
support on the bowpulpit, clips the jib halyard to the winch strap, and
cranks up the mast. It's up in under 5 mintues, from the time he arrives in
the parking lot. I have to lead my rope forward to the block on the bow,
tie on some extra length to reach back to the winch, etc, and it takes me
about 10 minutes to raise the mast.

Jerry's old boat didn't come with babystays, but he added them.

By the way, my older mast is about 1.5 times heavier than the newer ones and
has the additional weight of the CDI with a sail on it as well. Going up or
down, it's no problem, no danger, no sweat with the baby stays and the
winch.

Fair winds,
Judy B
1985 WWP19 #266, Redwing, SF Bay, CA