Re: P19 Mast Raising - A simple system from our competitors Compa q

From: SolarFry@aol.com
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 15:04:20 PST

Gallow is a stand on back of boat that goes across from one side to other
slightly lower than boom when boom is up. It has a neck for boom and mast.

Both boats from Compaq with "Mastender" system have a joint above the
gooseneck that allows the sail and boom to pass on way up but also swivel to
allow mast to go down aft. It is beautifully simple. Boom and gaff Cat rig is
used on both vessels. Mast sticks back behind gallow about a foot. it is a
short mast.

There is no way to drop the mast on anyone off the boat or near it as it
remains attached to boat at all times. You do not disconnect it or the
shrouds.

Best
SF

In a message dated 2/28/00 2:45:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,