Re: Cell vs VHF

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 19:26:45 PST

Globalstar is now in service, providing full portable phone coverage of the
United States plus Canada and Mexico. The Globalstar phones operate as
cellular phones but switch automatically to satellite when out of cellular
range. Globalstar now has its full constellation of 52 low-earth-orbit
satellites launched and operating and capable of providing phone service to
most of the world except, I think, the polar regions. Globalstar is
rapidly bringing more gateways on line and expanding service around the
world. It is not intended to compete with existing cellular and landline
service but to serve the many areas where cellular and/or landline phone
service is not available.

The phones initially have a suggested retail price of $1500 but will
probably come down in price. (No, I don't have one.) They are not much
larger than cell phones, and the sound quality is said to be excellent.

Okay, I admit I have a few shares of Globalstar and (its parent) Loral
Space in my IRA, and I am a former employee and sometimes temp employee of
Space Systems/Loral, but I don't get paid to publicize Globalstar. I just
thought it was apropos to the current discussion, and someone might be
interested.

For more and better info go to Globalstar's web site at
<http://www.globalstar.com/en/about/index.html>.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA