Hatch Sliders

From: bill payne (bilpayne@gte.net)
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 04:42:56 PST

Bruce, et al,
Pilgrim has these sliders too (#1075). I found some 1/2"x1/16: aluminum
strips in a hardware store and slipped one under each side of the hatch.
This, plus shaving a small amount off the runners of the hatch itself (the
part of the hatch under this aluminum) allowed the hatch to slide without
binding. I think the factory wasn't too interested in quality fittings at
that time...

I ordered the wooden sliders from IM but I had to return them as there was
no curve to match the coachroof. I think the newer models have formed this
area to lay straight. I wouldn't mind wood. Seven of eight lights coats
of Varathane and I'm good for 3 years - in southern CA...
Bill Payne
poop15, #1075
Pilgrim

----------

Anybody out there have hatch sliders made of 1-1/8" extruded aluminum
trim instead of teak? This arrangement looks like HMS used Formica edge
trim pieces pop rivited to the coach house. The boat (#1207) also has
chain plates set up about the middle of the cockpit for hoist launching.
----------
Dennis, our 1985 P-15, Hull/Sail no. 1246 has aluminum sliders,
which follow the contour of the coachroof in a slight curve,
and tend to bind somewhat for that reason, making the hatch
require a fairly hard shove to open or close it. I have come to
be glad that I don't have much wood on the boat because I really
am not fond of varnishing etc. ( have never tried cetol) but must
admit I like the look of teak trim on boats a lot..
Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte" sail no. 1246
Chico,CA