Re: Wear from beaching

From: Sukoshi1044@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 03 2000 - 09:21:27 PST

Tom and fellow Potterers:

I have some large scratches on Sukoshi's bottom and a few gelcoat nicks in
the skegs. I filled the nicks with Marine-Tex but haven't attacked the
scratches from beaching yet. I am considering having the entire bottom
sprayed with that urethane stuff that they put on pickup beds. I haven't
done any research yet, it's just an idea but seems to have merit. The stuff
is <they say> tough as nails and can be touched up. It would be easy enough
to use Harry's method of dumping a P14/15 on the ground with a couple of old
tires <especially with my old 'Dilly' tilt trailer> and tipping it up on it's
side so it could be masked and sprayed. Since these little boats are
cruisers and not racers the additional weight <s/b minimal anyway> and
potential roughness <they say this stuff can be smooth as well as textured>
shouldn't matter. The surface shouldn't be any rougher than the rolled-on
'black tar epoxy' that I had to put on the bottom of my S2 when I did the
blister repair job. It shouldn't cost anymore than having a truck bed sprayed
as it's probably a smaller surface area. One of these days I'll have the
time to pursue this idea. Has anyone done something similar already?

Bill de Ment P-15 #1044 'Sukoshi'
Eagle, Idaho