Re: Unidentified subject!

From: HandyM2@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 04 2000 - 17:35:04 PST

Hello Allen, Things I must have when sailing my P19...

A good Map of the area, a Tide Chart and a good watch (gotta know when to run
that channel, Never fight a serious tidal flow with your Outboard) and a GPS
as so I know where I am, how fast am I going and what direction I am going.

Depth Finder is for Fishermen or folks that do not pay attention to the
maps/GPS/Tidebook. I have "Seen" folks overrule there Maps watching the
Depth Finder and was rudely startled by a sudden change of depth and a Center
Board stike on the rocks.

Good Charts are your friend! The charts show a average depth of water so the
changes noted by your Tidebook and watch are important.

The GPS shows you a LOT of useful data like where are you, what direction you
are moving (and with a serious tidal flow you MIGHT be surprised where you
are really going) and how fast.

Some of my list friends have convinced me that I need a VHF Radio although I
am sorry to say the Coast Guard is undermanned so be prepared to assist
others and hope others assist you.

As far as the other things like Life Jackets etc I assume that you will honor
the Coast Guards suggestions here.

Enjoy Life! Sail Often!!

Michael
P19 Traveller