Re: renaming a boat

From: Bruce ParkJr (bjrpark@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 06:27:33 PST

My brother-in-law bought a boat a few years ago that
was already named. He also wanted to rename it. I told
him (since I have more boating expereience than he)
that it was bad luck unless you did some kind of
ceremony (I don't know what that it and it seemed like
a good time to give him a hard time about something.
Besides he got a big old power boat instead of a
sailboat. Imagine that!)
Anyway, he did rename the boat. Here's his first year
with the boat:

1)rammed his dock, smashing several boards and cuasing
some damage to the gelcoat
got to close to shore and ripped up his I/O (big bucks
there!)
2)Caught a wake with many people on board. One guy
fell in the companionway and broke his leg.
3)Took my sister out, cuaght another wake, made her
fall down and hurt her back.
4)Blew up the motor. I never did get an explanation on
how he did that, if it was negligence or what.

He had a rough first year. I don't know if I planted a
seed in his subconscience for bad luck or what, but
except for the fact that a few folks actually got
hurt, it did get pretty funny hearing about all of it
after I told him not to just go and remname the boat
without at least asking it's permission.

Bruce
P-19 #969
South Central Michigan