Re: renaming a boat

From: Kent Crispin (kent@songbird.com)
Date: Mon Mar 06 2000 - 07:00:08 PST

On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 06:27:33AM -0800, Bruce ParkJr wrote:
[...]
> He had a rough first year. I don't know if I planted a
> seed in his subconscience for bad luck or what,

While "bad luck" as an objective phenomenon is problematic, and I don't
believe in it, "bad luck" as a *subjective* phenomenon is quite common,
in my experience. That is, people who have "bad attitudes" encounter
more problems than people who don't, on average, because "attitude"
has an effect on how you view risk; how careful you are; how you
handle maintenance, and a whole bunch of other things.

People who go through a renaming ceremony, of whatever nature, are (on
average) thinking about their boat in a different way than someone who
can't be bothered. It would not be surprising if that difference in
attitude was somewhat correlated with the number of accidents.