Re: Mfg's. recommend props allow designed rpm range

From: Bill Blohm (bblohm@hpbs1686.boi.hp.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 09:13:23 PST

I have been following this discussion with interest, but also
a lot of confusion.

I've got a 1987 Suzuki 4. I visited the Suzuki web site, and I
have obtained an owner's manual for this motor. However, I still
don't quite follow how to determine the ideal prop. I've only
used the motor a couple of times, and I seriously doubt it got
me anywhere near hull speed.

What I'd like to know is, what are some tests I can do without
the need to invest in knotmeters, radar guns, external RPM
indicators, and so on? Given the results, how do I interpret
them? How do I know if I need a larger or smaller prop?

Oh, one other question. You talk about the motors purring along
at 3/4 throttle. Ok. Tell me, how can I tell if the motor is
running smoothly and neither being pushed hard nor overrun?
I am completely deaf, so I can't tell by ear and I've yet to
figure out how to tell when the engine is in the groove. I can
tell if it's overrevved beyond a point by the sudden increase
in high vibrations. I can tell when it's running too hard by
the sudden balking, but there's a wide range in between those
two endpoints.

Bill B.
P-19 #454, "Dream Catcher"
Nampa, ID

Dave & Francesca Kautz wrote:

> > How would one determine the right prop required? I have a 99 merc 2.5 w/ factory plastic prop. Should I change it?
> >
> > Eric Henry
> > P-15
> > Trevorton, PA
> >

> The standard prop on the 2.5 hp Mercury, Mariner, Nissan, Tohatsu (all
> made by Marubeni in Japan) has a pitch of 144 millimeters which is 5.7
> inches. The optional propeller listed on the Nissan site has a pitch of
> 7 inches which would make matters worse. The Tohatsu owners manual
> mentions an optional propeller with a pitch of 110 mm (4.5 inches).

<SNIP>