Re: Necessities and questions on flare guns

From: Thos. Westerman (thomasw@vanion.com)
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 12:02:42 PST

Weve been talking about necessities, and I think flare guns were mentioned.
 I have further questions and need some advice.

Is a Flare Gun considered a Firearm?

Ive been planning some trips and wondered if there were issues of
"transporting" one from state to state, does it have to be in plain site?
Is it considered a "weapon"? also, Meaning, can you carry one in a
concealed manner on your person or in your gear as you tour through town
without breaking "firearms" laws?

And another point--what about international, you Canucks out there,
Obviously we cant bring handguns accross the border, but are there any
issues with flare guns? Are they considered a "signaling device" and
protected under some international maritime law or something like that?

I think carrying a flare gun would make a great next best in a strange
place if one cannot carry a firearm legally. etc. But that is not the
point, is it legal to carry a "signalling device"? I think the
ramifications may be that carring a flare gun could be argued the same as
carrying a signal mirror, or a road flare in your coat pocket.

Who has knowledge of these things and can comment with certainties?

T Westerman
Colorado Springs, CO (where a concealed weapon permit is valid, but its
only one state out of 50)...