Flares and Flare Guns

From: GUNWALES@aol.com
Date: Wed Mar 08 2000 - 18:51:40 PST

I understand they seem not to be a legal weapon but are listed in yachting
magazines as the w.... of choice for those not legally able to carry one. The
point I want to add is that both flares and flare guns have disturbing power
when fired and at short range are likely as deadly as many guns yet they are
stored in easily opened containers, left on shelves at home and boat, and in
general treated in a different way than most would treat any form of gun.
Having been around kids with mine, it became obvious that the flares I favor
look just like magic markers and with a just a little exploration expose the
chain pull that fires them. I don't have a good solution to get ready access
without risk but remain aware of this problem whenever kids are around.

Cliff in PA