Re: How much do you think it is worth?

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 15:08:43 PST

Assuming the boat for sale is a P14, it is a sistership of my own #234.
That is the first generation, Herb Stewart, U.S.-built West Wight Potter
and was built in 1967. It is a very solid fiberglass boat with plywood
bulkheads, transom, CB trunk, and doublers. The skegs were solid fiberglass
(not hollow). It does not have a cabin liner, which makes it somewhat
roomier and easy to modify, but the decor is more tugboat than yacht, and
it does not have a sliding hatch. The companionway hatch extends down to
the cockpit sole, and the CB trunk extends well into the cockpit. It has a
lazarette big enough to hold a Seagull outboard, and it was gunter-rigged.
The sides of the cabin extend back alongside the forward part of the
cockpit so I've never felt the need for a cockpit rail. There was no
cockpit drain. The trailer is probably a Little Dude, which seems to be
more substantial than the Dilly that was used later, and the tilt-up
feature is very desirable, IMO. The motor mount fits in gudgeons and is
easily removed when not needed. The sail emblem on all of the gunter rigged
Potters was the same as on Stanley Smith's, a styled "WWP" instead of the
sail shape used on the later, non-gunter models.

I can still use the original sails also, although the roach between the two
battens was removed to stop fluttering. The bigger Mk II sails can be used;
they set well and improve performance, but the long batten is a nuisance
when the gunter yard is lowered, and reefing becomes more complicated.

The selling price would probably be somewhere between $500 and $1500,
depending perhaps on whether the buyer considers it a "classic" or just an
old boat and whether or not it has an outboard. It was probably
originally equipped with a Seagull Forty Plus 3 hp.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA

Wow, That's a really good question, one that is going to depend on a bunch of