Re: Discharge of Bilge [N]

From: Rich Gort (rich@gorts.com)
Date: Thu Mar 09 2000 - 16:33:00 PST

Good point Jim. Choices boil down to 1)bringing the outlet down to the
waterline or below 2) bringing the pump up to the outlet level or 3)
just forgeting about the 1 or 2 ft. head and putting the outlet up as high
as possible and the pump as low as possible. I go for #3. A 2 ft head
should not be a problem for any pump that runs on anything more than a set
of penlight batteries. Put the opening up high enough so that it will
never see the water from heeling (unless you see the water too) is the way
to go. The only thing you have to worry about is the pump being able to
self prime (if the outlet is too high it might have a problem) but it
would have to get over that level even if you went with the inverted U
idea stated on an earlier post. Put the outlet up high! (and the pump
low!)

Rich Gort
WWP19 #202 SAYOKO (Oct, 83)
Lake Stevens, WA