Re: BOOM Rigging

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 15:41:15 PST

I don't know how P19s are rigged, but I like a strap or eye on one side at
the end of the boom and a cheek block on the other side. The outhaulline
is tied to the strap, routed forward through the clew grommet, back around
the cheek block, then forward to a cleat of your choice. That gives you a
2:1 ratio and keeps the clew centered. For lower friction you could shackle
a block to the clew if there is sufficient rooom.

For minimum hardware, you may be able to use an eyebolt through the boom to
provide the eye on one side and to secure the cheek block on the opposite
side.

Such an adjustable outhaul is very desirable so the sail can be hardened up
when the wind rises or loosened for more fullness in light air or to power
through chop.

Harry Gordon
P14 #234, Manatee
Mountain View, CA