Re: Brilliant Idea

From: Eric Johnson (etj@nwlink.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 18:43:55 PST

>There's a replacement for incadescent bulbs that look really suitable for
>Potter usage. They are lamps made of stacked LEDs (light emitting diodes).

>The come in the colors red, amber, yellow, green, blue and white. The light

>colors look good for cabin and navigation lights.
>Here's the claims of the manufacturer:

<snip>

I think Davis has an anchor light based on these that is CG approved. I've seen
these in several marine catalogs. Its great for that application because of
the low power consumption. I don't know if there's any CG approved nav lights
based on this yet. One problem with them is they are very directional,so they
would have to get pretty creative with the clustering for them to be suitable
as nav lights.

I've seen large commercial trucks with LED turn and brake signals and agree
that its a natural for boat trailers.

The big drawback now is cost. For the $20 i've seen for the cheapest of the
LED clusters, (and much more $ for the non-cheapest!) you could finance a lifetime
supply of incandesents. Still, I think this will catch on in a big way on trailers
and anchor lights. The low power consumption is fantastic. I managed last year
charge my battery entirely on solar and the charger on my tohatsu, but it ran
pretty low a few times. Nav lights are one of my major loads, so I can't wait
for more of these super-efficient lights to be built into marine navlights.
http://www.nwlink.com