Re: Inflatable PFD's/Anchors/Rigging suggestions

From: Larry Longerbeam (82438@email.msn.com)
Date: Wed Mar 15 2000 - 19:45:59 PST

I have infatabales in both the suspender and fanny pack styles. Both are
manual. I use the suspender type for fly fishing in swift rivers and for
float tubing. The suspender type most likely saved a friend's life when he
was swept into a deep hole and his boot-footed chest waders floated his feet
up and ergo forced his head down. He deployed the suspenders and they
worked fine. I use the fanny- pack type for sailing when it is warm-to-hot.
But I carry regular jacket preservers and would wear these in rough
conditions. The auto-inflating type would be necessary for young children
or non-swimmers, but would not be useful when wade/float tube fishing or in
instances when they would be casually dunked. Of course, manual inflatables
would be useless if one were for some reason unconscious when going into the
water.
       The great feature of inflatables is people are more likely actually
to wear them in hot weather.

Larry Longerbeam
P 15 "Ariel" #2208
near Chattanooga