Lowering mast while underway

From: Ray Boivin (BOIVINRA@ene.gov.on.ca)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2000 - 08:08:50 PST

Greetings all:

One problem which I am trying to deal with is the need to lower my mast to get under low bridges during some portions of my trip this summer. Lowering the mast is not a problem but supporting the spar at the stern is proving to be problematic. Some individuals have modified their boats with a second set of gudgeons so that the mast crutch can be used when underway. I do not have the space on the transom for a second set of gudgeons due to graphics on the starboard side and my inability to reach the bolts inside the transom were I to attempt this. Are there any other solutions out there for supporting the mast when it is down and you are underway? Ideally, the foot of the mast would remain attached to the cabintop with the aft pin.

Ray
P-19 #953 "Water Wings"
Lake of the Woods