Re: Pineview Res.

From: Brucemagil@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 07:59:07 PST

Hello Tom,
    I think that you will enjoy sailing at Pineview this summer. Utah has
quite a number of manmade mountain lakes for the extensive irrigation system
here in this desert state. No doubt Pineview is one of the most popular for
boating due to the interesting shape of the lake and the scenery.
    Most of the shore line of the lake is beachable with the P19s though we
prefer to anchor off a little so as to leave the dagger board down and save
the hull for the abrasion. There are lots of neat little coves that you can
drop an anchor in for lunch or the night. The forest service frowns on shore
camping and a campfire is a no no, though you still see them around. The
water cops go home at sunset.
Boat traffic can get pretty hectic at the hight of waterski season, with 90%
motorheads. Sometimes the boat induced chop can get agravating but usually
after 2:00 PM the wind will start to come up the canyon and blow the majority
of the motors off the water. This leaves some great sailing from 4:00 or
5:00 until after sunset.
    There two marinas at the lake, astate marina called Port Ramp that has
some slips for rent and I believe that the rates are around 200 per mo. The
problem with this place is there is no security and no breakwater so the
boats get hammered with the chop. There is Ogden Pineview Yacht Club that
has nice slips and breakwater but they really don't have any trancient slips,
though there are usually some members that rent their slips out to people. I
think that one renting a slip would still need to cough up $4K for membership
just to rent the slip so that isn't all that viable.
    At the Port Ramp there is a locked and fenced 1acre area where you can
store your boat on the trailor and I've been told that the rates are only
about $1 per Ft per Mo. and it is right there at the marina. You'd probably
need to check with Utah Parks and Recreation for more information on this.
    Lightning can and does happen around here. The thunder storms roll in
from the west to southwest. Since the lake is on the east slope of the
Wasatch Front sometimes the amount of reaction time is less that one would
like. You just pay attention to what is boiling over the top of Mt. Ogden.
Fortunately you can usually beach the boat for 1/2 to 1 hour while the storm
rolls over if you want and then resume sailing. It is worth the
perserverance as these little thunder storms do a pretty good job of clearing
most of the traffic off of Pineview for the rest of the afternoon, as alot of
the boaters just head home when they see black clouds comming.
    There is a variety of sails out there on a good day. The wind surfers
hang out at the narrows which is about 1/4 mile wide and catch the afternoon
thermals that come though the narrows like a wind tunnel. Out in the open
water you'll see Hobicats and monohulls from P15s (my Brother's) and
Sunfishes to 25 to 30 Ft Macs and a nice old well handled Coronado.
    If it turns out that you can head this way this summer, keep us posted.
I would think that Kellan Hatch in the SLC area would like to meet up with us
also for a group sail either at Pineview or the Great Salt Lake; lots of
sailors over there! :^)

See ya,

Bruce Magill
#913 Tipsy Gypsea