Re: THE BRITISH SEAGULL ?

From: jckniese@francomm.com
Date: Sun Mar 19 2000 - 04:00:11 PST

> I need to get a motor for my P15 within the next five weeks. I have an
> electric motor but want something with more power before taking a planned
> trip up to Long Island Sound. I also want to start taking regular trips to
> Cape Lookout not far from my home. Before getting even near the ocean I want
> a gas engine, GPS, VHS. I have just looked at the British Seagull page - Is
> that a good motor? Knowing I want some power what would you suggest as the
> ideal motor? I also need it to be inexpensive (doesn't everyone). I would
> like suggestions on best place to buy one as well as the best model. Does
> anyone have one for sale? Thank you.
> drewschenck@msn.com
> Drew E. Schenck
Hi Drew,
If you want a good motor choose either a Honda or Yamaha. I had a
Yamaha 70Hp for 5 years and it never failed me. I went through storms
in Cape Cod and have run down the Hudson river to NY City. I now have
two Honda's. A 50Hp on my McGregor sailboat and a 90Hp on my Invader
Cuddy. Both are very reliable. I just bought a Nissan 5Hp 4 stroke for
my new Potter 19 but on the McGregor site some people reported that they
switched from the Nissan type motor to Honda Or Yamaha due to the
unreliable operation of the Nissan. Another motor that is very reliable
is the Suzki but they weigh a lot. For your boat I would recommend the
Honda 2HP 4 stroke. The problem with these light motors is that they
have an internal gas tank and you might have to refill out on the water
which is a tricky situation. I prefer a motor with an external tank
that will get me a good distance, if necessary, without refueling
underway.
Bob
P19#1148
Dovie