Self Steering P-14/15

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Tue Mar 21 2000 - 15:00:17 PST

While I'm at the computer. . .my weekend evening sail in light and variable
breezes (very pleasant if not too light) produced no good results with my
version of the "Many Ways to Potter Self Steering System". Seemed like it
just wasn't achieving anything. I went home and read Djikstra's self
steering book again and concluded I had it hooked up right but maybe my
shock cord is really too tough for the lighter breezes and I need to find
good surgical tubing instead. . .so I'll do that , but that lead to the
question. . .has anybody used a simple vane type steering gear on a P-14 or
P-15? I've in mind something like a tiny mizzen on a turn table, maybe just
above and/or behind the transom, with steering lines crossing and leading
from the quarters to the tiller. . .any experience out there? (I don't go
downstairs and take a nap or anything, but my hands ache and hurt a lot when
I steer and/or one-hand the main sheet for any length of time. I'd like to
let the boat self-steer and I'll use two hands on the sheet when necessary.
. .)

Ken P
P-15 #1063, Bainbridge Is, WA