Re: 2 cycle outboard motor external fuel tanks require fuel pumps !

From: hlg@pacbell.net
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 09:01:17 PST

It seems the line from the external tank could be run to a connector added
to the top of the motor-mounted tank. It wouldn't have to go through the
cap. The vent on the motor-mounted tank would be kept closed, and the vent
on the external tank would be open when running. The external tank would
have to be located higher for gravity feed or have a manual or electric
fuel pump to transfer fuel.

If the external tank is lower, couldn't a squeeze bulb be used as a
handpump to periodically top off the motor-mounted tank from the external
tank?

I've toyed with the idea of strapping a tank on the bow of my P14, which is
higher than the motor-mounted tank, and running a hose or tube back to the
motor-mounted tank, but I haven't been motoring enough to need the external
tank. I've always been able to refill the Seagull's tank underway, but I
sometimes spill. It helps to use a smaller container to refill from.

I can imagine a couple of problems in drilling a hole in the top of the
motor-mounted gas tank. The tank would have to be thoroughly purged of any
gas or fumes to avoid possible fire or explosion, and it would be difficult
to avoid contaminating the tank with chips from the drilling. A tool that
would cut one small circular piece out instead of chewing through the metal
might avoid the chip problem. In the Navy we used CO2 fire extinguishers to
purge jet fuel tanks before working inside the tanks.

Harry