Re: Balancing the helm when reefing

From: GSTahoe@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 10:18:57 PST

In a message dated 3/27/00 10:08:15 AM Pacific Standard Time,
DrJudyB@pacbell.net writes:

<< 'd never tried to sail Redwing with full lapper and 1st reef in the main;
 we always reduce the headsail area before reefing the main. If we're out
 with the lapper and the wind gets to about 18 knots, we reef the lapper on
 the CDI. When we're expecting over 198 knots, we usually fly the storm jib
 and full main, and then if we need to reduce sail area more, we put a reef
 in the main. >>

Judy,

I believe the reason you felt more heeling with the reduced lapper than you
would with a storm jib is that the lapper on the CDI is located higher above
the deck than a storm jib would be. This puts the CE very high on the boat
and reduces the drive and increases the heeling. This would contribute to
very poor handling. On the other hand, based on your paragraph above, if you
fly a storm jib and full main in winds of 198 knots, you have a lot more
cajones than this skipper! :-)

Geoff

P-15 Lollipop
Sail (hull?) number: 1961