RE: Balancing the helm when reefing

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 11:38:34 PST

Hi Chris,

Well, here's a time-tested idea: Jerry Barrilleaux has about 150 pounds of
canned Dinty Moore Beef Stew in his boat. Eatable ballast!

Here's the one drawback to Dinty Moore ballast: you have to eat it before
the cans rust thru, or else you have a real mess in your boat. Personally,
I think an assorment of stews, soup, hearts of palm, oysters, and smoked
salmom sounds a lot more interesting.

Fair winds,
Judy B
WWP-19 #266 Redwing

PS Seriously, just load the front of the boat up with your heavy stuff like
spare parts, spare anchor, etc. Put your cooler up front. And keep
everything you can out of the aft quarter bunks. I bought a cheap 18 pound
mushroom anchor at Walmart that I keep in the anchor locker under all the
chain and rode. You can get lead at a junk yard, or buy lots of anchor
chain for when you might need it (it's expensive stuff though). I've still
got 20-40 pounds of chain for sale....

<<snipped>>