RE: Balancing the helm when reefing

From: Judith Franklin Blumhorst, DC (DrJudyB@pacbell.net)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 12:12:40 PST

Another comment on the CDI performance topic:

About how the the CDI performs when the sail isn't reefed, I don't think you
can really tell the difference between the CDI and a hanked on sail. I can
point as high and sail as fast with an unreefed headsail on the CDI as Jerry
Barrilleaux can with a hanked on sail.

I can't change headsails as easily as somebody with a hanked on jib can, but
I can live with the performance loss that comes with rolling up the sail.
In my personal opinioin, that's a small price to pay in return for never
having to go up to the foredeck.

Besides, at about 110 pounds, I could get blown off the foredeck too easily
by those 198 knot winds!!

Judy B
1985 WWP-19 #266 Redwing
SF Bay