Re: Johnson/Evinrude (E/J) 4 or Nissan 5 HP?

From: Mac Davis (mcmd@innet.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 15:34:18 PST

Greetings, all:
I cannot recommend the Evinrude / Johnson 4HP 2-cylinder 2 cycle, even
though its specs are attractive. I've now owned 2. The older one, circa
mid seventies was a delight, always started eventually, and even ran under
load (on a bet, when I was trading it in on a new 92) for over an hour with
no water pump impeller.

But the new one was another story. First, no manual rope starting
capability; the spring rewind was a sealed unit, so when the sash cord broke
it was $65.00 for a new recoil start unit. Plus you were through for the
day. Older model had exposed flywheel with notch which allowed starting with
recoil system kaput. Also, replaceable spring was about 7.00 and sash cord
was free. Also, 92 was very sensitive to carburetor gum formation,
something the 76apparently didn't know about. Prop on the 92 was plastic
vice metal on the 76.

92 did have the neat saddle tank I described earlier, and had a neutral
gear. Both plusses.
Hope this helps,
Mac Davis
Kelpie, WWP19#804