Re: prevent black mold - rub rail

From: Bruce Hood (bhood@sunset.net)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 11:27:35 PST

Cap'n Judy and other Potter friends..
I have found that West Marine Products "Fender Cleaner" works
really great on our older Potters white "rubbery" rubrail...
Acetone seemed to make it brittle and yellow on the surface..
The West Marine stuff is a thick blue solution that sticks nicely
to the rail while you're using it, has no volatile fumes, seems to
have a mild abrasive suspended in it, washes off quickly with
water. I use it along with a 3-M scrubby pad, and it only takes
about fifteen minutes to ge the job done on a P-15. It seem to
really retard formation of mildew.. I used it just before the cruiser
challenge in November, and no black specks began to show until
a month or more later. Unfortunately I have no affiliation with
West Marine Products, or this testimonial might help pay for a
new..P-19 :) Best wishes to all..
Bruce
Bruce Hood, P-15 "Aillte", Sail no. 1246, since 1985