Re: Hull Painting

From: Michael Smith (michaelconniesmith@home.com)
Date: Sat Apr 01 2000 - 15:25:26 PST

All the discussion I see about how to raise a Potter 15 from a trailer to
work on bottom or remove centerboard reminds me that before I bought ours (a
couple of months ago), I had read such discussions and wondered about using
a shop crane. I have a new Harbor Freight catalog (it says free shipping)
which lists a one ton shop crane for $189. Its boom length extends from 389
to 54.25" which would seem enough to reach the middle of a potter. Its boom
height extends from 15 to 73.25". Wouldn't a couple of nylon sling straps
under the boat going to a center point to which the boom's hook was attached
work? I also would think a simple chain hoist similarly attached would work
great, as would a "come along." For the chain hoist or "come along," a
secure garage rafter, perhaps (or no doubt for sure) with additional side
supports would work. As would a hearty tree limb. Mike