P-15 centerboard -- modification?

From: Ken Preston (preston@gencc.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 08:37:48 PDT

You may recall that I broke the operating lever off the main blade of my
centerboard last weekend and spent Sunday pulling it out of the boat and so
forth. . .got the steel welded up properly (will never break there again!)
and got it galvanized (had only been painted originally). It came out all
shiny and pretty, but it's still pitted, so maybe a new piece of plate would
have been a good idea.

Anyway, my thought is that (referring to Harry's post from his friend in
England with the cable hoist on the aft edge of the centerboard and the
closed trunk. . .all of which sounded pretty good to me. . .) my thought as
I was saying, since I've been crawling around under there and handling the
pieces a lot lately. . .is that the operating lever portion of the
centerboard can't just be cut off where it joins the main blade. In that
configuration there's almost nothing left inside the trunk when the board is
all the way down EXCEPT for that operating lever (the "nose" of the
centerboard). It's transferring the load up to the slot at the top of the
case. I think it would require some serious looking and scheming to get the
maximum amount of lever arm back up into the case and still permit it to
rotate without having to come out the top of the slot.

Different subject: Speaking of the British. . .I saw a very nice article on
the new English Potters (and pottering in general) in the March, 2000 issue
of "Practical Boat Owner" magazine. . .from England. Nice magazine. . .

There was a wonderful breeze Saturday. . .all I wanted with two aboard and
the full main w/genoa. . .had other obligations on Sunday though and it
looked even better. Oh well!

Ken Preston
P-15, #1063
Bainbridge Is, WA.