P-15 trailers

From: Duncan Young (dyoung@netpipe.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 20:46:03 PDT

Thanks for all hot tips and advice. I haven't clipped any aircraft but I did
knock the New Orleans Causeway with the top of my mast one time. I thought
it would fit under and it did when we heeld the boat over 15 - 20 degrees.

Since we have an abundance of expertise on this line I have a question. I
have a VW Vanagen that I pull my P-15 with but I really don't like getting
salt water up my tail pipe or on the rear brake drums. Why couldn't I cut
the Garges trailer behind the hitch and slide a 2.5 x 2.5 x.250 square steel
tube inside with link pin holes where I need them to make a trailer tongue
extension? Has anybody ever done this? What are the ramifications of
extending the tongue 4 or 5 feet? The steel book says the steel is 45,000
psi tensile strength and 39,000 psi yield strength. I know we are talking
about that much stress on the trailer tongue. Is it possible?

Many thanks, dyoung@netpipe.com P-15 #2421 "Weigh-2-Go"